Benefits of Food Allergy Testing

Aug 4, 2014 | Blog, Uncategorized

If you’re one of the millions of Americans suffering from one of these three skin conditions, you may want to consider getting an allergy test.

  • Eczema – Eczema is a scaly, red, itchy rash which often is “felt” prior to becoming visible. Your skin may feel like fine-grit sandpaper or you may simply realize you’ve been itching a spot or two frequently. Eczema is often referred to as the itch that rashes.
  • Hives – Hives frequently itch, burn or sting. They’re pale red bumps that appear suddenly. While causes often include stress or insect stings/bites, hives may also be the result of an allergic reaction to food.
  • Atopic Dermatitis – Similar to eczema and hives, atopic dermatitis is indicated by red, itchy, inflamed skin.


I’m showing signs of an allergy, now what?

First time flare ups can go overlooked until they’ve progressively grown worse. If you’re experiencing any symptoms indicated, your immune system may be reacting to one or more allergens. Narrow a cause with food allergy testing.

Being highly allergic to a food may trigger serious reactions such as choking due to swelling of the esophagus or immediate hives. Still, many food allergies may only cause mild to moderate and minimal effects which could easily be overlooked or ignored. Having an understanding of foods which may negatively effect your health can help you increase the overall quality of life you experience.

If you wish to continually put your best face forward, a food allergy test may prove vital.

Allergy Test

  • Blood Testing – RAST and ImmunoCAP tests measure levels of IgE antibodies.
  • Skin Prick Test – SPTs are less expensive and can provide immediate results, but require the use of a needle or probe to prick the skin. The use of antihistamines interfere with results.
  • Trial Elimination Diet – This requires temporary elimination of certain foods.
  • Oral Food Challenges – The possibility of serious adverse reactions require this to be performed by a professional.

Only board-certified allergists or physicians certified by American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology should diagnose and treat food allergies.

If you’re still uncertain about an ugly skin reaction, contact us today!